Saturday, December 20, 2008

Six healthy Mookie months have gone by, her healthiest six months for as long as I can remember.  She's been a very peppy 15 year old, though she spend much, much more time sleeping than ever before.

She's taken turn for the worse, as of the beginning of this week.  She suddenly stopped eating, and slowed down in hear walks considerably.  Which is probably why I'm writing again.

Since she's fifteen, and since there have been occasions before (once at eleven she had what turned out to be a stomach tumor, and three times earlier this year she fainted for no apparent reason) I thought she was close to death, the thought of her death is always lingering.  Plus, of course, she is advanced in her years.

So I think about her death, how she will die, all the time.  When she is running around free in the park, I think what a wonderful day to die, to be running around one minute without a care, and be done with it the next, or even in a few hours.  I often have these thoughts.  

As little as a couple of weeks ago, she was running around.  After not eating for about five days, she seems to be having trouble coordinating her leg  movements.  It may be the floors of our new apartment, but I think she is getting weak.

I say she's not eating, well that's not exactly true.  She stopped eating, but the ve said do anything to get her to eat, so I've been feeding her chicken, which for intestinal reasons, she should not be eating.  I've also been frying cauliflower and broccoli, and adding a little oatmeal cereal to her dogfood, anything to get her to eat.

No comments: